Sunday, July 31, 2011

Spruce Pine, NC


OK, I guess I do get a little nervous when I head off onto secondary roads in the motor home when I have not traveled them before. The coach is big. Backing up is not an option when towing the Honda, so I really want to avoid tight situations. It was with trepidation that I turned off Interstate 26 onto North Carolina 19E and drove off into the mountains. This part of North Carolina is very mountainous and the roads do not have shoulders.

The sign identifying the entrance to the campground pointed down what looked like a private drive, but we headed down. After about a hundred yards it turned, narrowed, and went out of sight into the bushes and trees. I stopped and asked Barbara to walk ahead and make sure we were not heading into something we could not get out of. Of course, that is when the pickup pulling a motorcycle trailer came the other way. The good news is they said we were going in the right direction. The bad news was that this was a narrow one-lane and we had two vehicles, towing trailers, nose to nose. The kids in the pickup solved the impasse by driving on the front lawn of some guy’s house and, once they were clear, we descended further into the woods .

It turns out the owners of the campground saved their biggest site for us. They are great folks. This family has operated the campground for fifty years. The present owner’s grandfather started it.

As you can see it is beautiful and heavily wooded. As I write this I am listening to the frogs and other night creatures chattering away outside. These shots show our site and the views from the front and rear of the coach.
















































The view out the front is the road we will leave on. I should be over it by the time we have to drive down it.




No comments:

Post a Comment