Saturday, December 8, 2012

Fort DeSoto, FL Day Two


Day two at Ft DeSoto started off at a leisurely pace. It is so quiet here compared to the traffic noise we get at home. I enjoyed morning coffee and the paper, the Orlando paper, thanks to Kindle.

I launched the kayak around noon and had a great time circumnavigating Mullet Key Bayou. It was about five and a half miles of paddling, and now I have blisters. My gloves had a seam in a bad spot, so in the evening went for another pair at that gold old standby, West Marine.























Old man and the sea



















Camp from waterside


















They have added a new camp store. It had been under construction for a few years, but is done now. For campers, this is a nice addition because they have many convenience store items, camping stuff, pizza, and ICE CREAM Edys ice cream, and it is good! Well, at least that is what I am told. They have a nice balcony overlooking part of the bayou, and you can sit outside and enjoy your pizza, ice cream or drinks. They make huge snow cones, too. Remember how they used to be just bigger than an ice cream cone and served in a paper cone? I don’t think I have had one since I was about eight, but even given the memory effects over time (lots of time) I do not remember them being so big.



















































Curt Anderson arrives tomorrow and will spend the remainder of the week. Curt joined me for the Flagler Beach trip when Barbara did the cruise two years ago, and is here for the fishing. While kayaking this morning the bayou was flush with Mullet, and I saw some good-sized Sheepshead. I doubt Curt is after Mullet, so it will be interesting to see what he comes home with. Just in case I bought steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment