Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dallas, Day One


Thursday was primarily a driving day, but it was not without its drama.

Things were routine until we were nearly through Dallas construction traffic. While approaching an off ramp to Hwy 114, the construction had us slowed up enough for the guy in the car next to me to get my attention and ask that I open my window. I regretted it when I heard him say, “The car you are towing is smoking!” We worked our way over to the shoulder. Happily, it was recently poured cement and relatively clean since I was soon going to be crawling under the coach. Turns out the heavy mud flap that hangs beneath the rear of the coach had once again come loose on one side and was dragging. Risking life and limb, I got my tools out of the compartment on the traffic side and crawled beneath the beast. The bracket had broken so there was no quick fix on the side of the road. I disconnected the good side and Barbara and I hauled the damn thing (all six feet and 60 or so pounds) into the coach.

We pulled up in front of Chris’ house feeling like we were home free. We disconnected the car and I started to back into Chris and Lisa’s driveway with Barbara guiding me in while standing on the lawn of the house across the street. All of a sudden she was doing the chicken dance and her arms were flying all over. That made directions hard to follow so I stopped until things settled down. Things did not get better, but we managed to get the coach in the backyard. It turns out Barbara had stepped into a large fire ant nest and got many bites. Within minutes she had hives over a substantial part of her body. She was really having a bad time, so I drove to the store for Benadryl. Thankfully she was feeling better relatively soon, but the rash persisted through the next day.

Finally we were snug in our spot behind Chez Ruburgner. (Rubin + Burgner)
















Things got better when Lisa got home and we headed to Jack’s daycare for his Easter egg hunt. What a great time that was. He is a sharp young lad, and jumped right in to getting his share of eggs. 
































































As for getting his picture taken with the bunny, well there is always next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment